Women's Blues Revue: Here I am backstage at Massey Hall - the most
revered music hall in the country, really. Suzie Vinnick, bass player
and vocalist in the Women's Blues Revue Band asks me to take her camera
while she's playing - and take some pictures of her and the band,
presumeably. The minute I get to my seat an usher tells me I can't take
pictures. I say "very sorry, one of the performers gave me her camera
and asked me to take some pics" then I added "but i wasn't going to
take any in the hall, just backstage". Now he's on the walkie talkie
and being told to walk me over to the stage entrance - right down the main aisle of Massey Hall!. A big "Photo Pass" was stuck
on my vest and I was led back to my seat but after the show had
started I made my way down the side to go shoot some pictures. I
figured, now that I've got this big Photo Pass stuck on my chest, I might
as well take some pictures. Lotsa pictures. But after I'd shot 2 or 3,
there was a tap on my shoulder with an usher insisting I follow him
back. When we got off to the side, I turned and showed him my photo pass, then he gets all
apologetic...sorry he didn't see the pass. Now I stay back for a while
but I move in again when I see a good chance to get a shot of Suzie. I move down and this
time a young woman usher(ette) stops me. I point to my pass and she
says I still can't go as close as I want. That was my day as official
photographer for an hour but I never figured out the camera and I bet
not a single picture came out. Sorry Suzie.